Monday, March 26, 2012

CMS Replication issues

While installing a Lync Server 2010, I ran into an issue where one front-end would not replicate to the Central Management Store. I could ping and telnet to port 445 so that wasn't the issue.  Running netstat from the problem server and filtering on port 445, I received the below errors:

A quick internet search on search on CMS replication issues turned up an excellent post titled Troubleshooting CMS Replication from The Lync Guy's Blog (Fromerly OCSGuy). The Lync Guy ran into this exact issue where access was denied to the CMS database while trying to write to the RTCReplicaRoot folder on the problem server. In his case, a security script had broken NTFS permissions and a complete rebuild (including the OS) was warranted.

My case was somewhat different; I wasn't using a security script and I was trying to avoid re-installing the OS primarily because I had done so previously due to another issue in which the roles and features in Windows Server 2008 R2 displayed an error message in service manager.
Additionally, roles and features could not be changed using Power Shell. I followed the steps here to no avail and rebuilt the OS but I digress. 


I initially tried the steps listed on Louis UC Blog to repair the share permissions to the RTCReplicaRoot folder but this did not work in my case.

So I removed the problem server from the Lync topolopy, performed a bootstrap /scorch (to remove Lync) and deleted the RTCReplicaRoot folder (to ensure that the folder would be recreated by Lync setup with the correct permissions), added the server back to the topology, and re-ran Lync Setup. 

This solved my CMS replication issue!



No comments:

Post a Comment